Fraud in Science

U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu
Fri Jul 14 11:28:33 EST 1995

On 11 Jul 1995 09:29:33 -0700 Alexander Berezin
<berezin at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA> wrote:

>"Either too many, or zero". Glad that you bring up this issue.
>There was an interesting letter a while ago (in Nature
>magazine ?) with approximate title "FRAUD IN SCIENCE MUCH
>MORE COMMON THAN WE MAY THINK" . The author's logic was
>approximately this:

> We, scientists, usually agree that we should test hypotheses
>against available experimental data. And if there are two (or
>more) CONTRADICTORY hypotheses which fit the data, they BOTH
>(or all) must be considerd seriously, perhaps with equal
>weight.
>
>   In this case the "Experimental Data" are:
>
> "Cases of fraud do occur, but judging from press
>  reports they seem to be isolated occurences and
>  there frequently is relatively low"
[stuff deleted]

For anybody interested in discussing these types of problems in
science... somebody e-mailed me the following information:

<<<<<<<<<<
        If you are interested in really discussing the problems in
science that you have voiced to me, maybe you would be interested
in the Walter W. Stewart WWW Home page.  Walter Stewart
(wstewart at nyx.cs.du.edu) and Ned Feder have online bulletin boards
that contain documents that pertain to specific cases of scientific
misconduct and that discuss research integrity issues.  Walter's
WWW home page is located at:

        http://nyx10.cs.du.edu:8001/~wstewart

Ned Feder's dial-in bulletin board has some documents but also
provides the opportunity for scientists and others to exchange
messages discussing scientific misconduct.  The server uses a
software package called FirstClass that can be downloaded for free
from (301)530-5859 and logging in as "guest" (no password is
needed).

-Kathy