Lab Certification - Summary

U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu
Sun Jul 16 22:04:28 EST 1995

anon1167 at nyx10.cs.du.edu (M) wrote on 15 Jul 1995 16:16:36 -0600:

>In article <gregoryh-0607951350540001 at 128.249.14.251>,
>Gregory R. Harriman <gregoryh at bcm.tmc.edu> wrote:

I'm sorry... but my reader does not have this followup referenced.
Can you send it to me?  Thanks in advance.

>>having our universities, medical schools and other institutions
>>do a better job of teaching students what is proper behavior and
>>what is not. Faculty and scientists need to teach by example.
>>The changes need to come at the local level not at the federal
>>level.
>

>Hm, I think most people know that research fraud is not acceptable
>behavior.  Maybe we need to restructure the pay-off for fraud.
>Considering the number of people vying for jobs, grant funding,
>etc., the incentive to fudge research results "just this once" is
>just too high.

Well... I think there are 'some' laws against this already in the
books.  But the problem in the Gallo case, for example, was that by
the time everything was put under investigation... the status of
limitations have expired (thus why the FBI dropped their probe).

Why Poisson and Fisher have not been charged with anything
(criminally wise)... I don't know.  The fact that not only was some
data falsified, but something like over 500 patient consent forms
are missing... is this criminal?

-Kathy