Agent Orange & my

klier at cobra.uni.edu klier at cobra.uni.edu
Mon Jul 17 12:14:33 EST 1995

In article <3ucnkm$f9v at fohnix.metronet.com>, psyche at fohnix.metronet.com (psyche) writes:

> A few minutes ago, my next door neighbor rang my doorbell and told
> me that:
> I really don't know how he got hold of the stuff (or if it was
> really Agent Orange), but I'm freaking out right now and don't
> know what to do -- the grass he sprayed looks bad.  Calling the
> police seems appropriate -- but what would they do?

Agent Orange was a mixture of 2,4-D and 2,4,5T used as a defoliant
in Vietnam.  One of the major concerns was/is the presence of
dioxin as a contaminant in the mixture.

2,4-D is a restricted use pesticide in the US.  That means you
need a license to apply it.  Yes, your neighbor may have gotten
ahold of some.  I've seen it happen before.  Or he may be talking
through his hat.   2,4-D and 2,4,5-T are both still available
as a mixture, though not called Agent Orange.

Were I you, I would immediately call the pesticide regulatory
agency in your state and report what you've told us; ask for an
immediate investigation.   The people to call are usually the
state agriculture department, or the department of natural resources.
Your county extension office can also advise who the correct agency
is.

They can also advise you on proper decontamination procedures
for you and your dog (mostly a good soapy bath and lots of rinses,
I would imagine).

Kay Klier  klier at cobra.uni.edu