Digging up filled-in wetlands

Cynthia Donahey cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Sat Jul 22 18:57:19 EST 1995

Recently, we found an old dump site (along a river). The tree on top is
about sixty years old(my not so expert guess), so I guess the dumping stopped
about sixty years ago.  I found the bottle discards, that the original
finder had discarded.  He (she) has been digging for most of the summer,
and I expect the tree to collapse at some point, at the very least,
exposing far more bottles at a deeper depth. (So far, we have not seen fit
to dig ourselves.) This brings up larger questions, at least to me, of how
stable these kind of dump areas are.  There is a railroad bridge nearby,
so I have some vague, unformulated questions about the stability of the
bridge's foundations, as well - especially during flooding.  I have no way
of guessing of what the river bank originally looked like, the dump
probably goes down another twenty or thirty feet. Whether the Indians
dumped there as well, or if it started sometime in the 1800's, I am unable
to  venture a guess.  Does anyone know something about this subject.  By
the way, serious bottlers, are paranoid about their dump sites; in general
they're very secretive about them.

Secondarily, are their any instances of  former wetlands (say, plain old
swamps) being dug out and reused.  I guess, the most practical use for the
old fill is to have a hill next to the newly emerged swamp covered with
that portland cement and (dirt, ground up leaves, old manure - the list is
endless) mixture.

Any comments.  Cindy in Ohio