View From The Trenches

Sun Jul 23 12:52:35 EST 1995

On Sun, 23 Jul 1995, Neil Jensen wrote:

> > In article <95200.025728U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu>, <U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu> wrote:
>
> > William Tivol wrote on 17 Jul 1995 22:34:18 GMT:
>
> > U58563 at uicvm.uic.edu wrote:
>
> To see this kind of dialogue taking place among people from "The Trenches"
> is gratifying. It may be just a small step away from pulling their heads
> out of "The Trenches" and seeing that the the Medical Establishment view
> of things belongs at the County Fair on the floor of the corrals more
> often than not. I'm just an old HS dropout that sees so called "Medical
> Science" as a bunch of crap, for sale to the highest bidder. If something
> doesn't aagree with the AMA/FDA/CDC/Pharmaceutical Company dogma, it
> doesn't get funded at best, or is discredited with propaganda at worst.
> "If there isn't something patentable, it can't be any good" seems to be
> the Party Line.

===================================

The following quote is, I believe,
a good illustartion of how the
Establishement invariably manages to twist
ANY set of agruments in a such way that the
case for a maintaining the status quo
(read: the power of THIS Establishment) always
appears much stronger than any alternative
(heretical) viewpoint.  - Alex Berezin

"Among the ancients there were some, of whom the
leader, four hundered years before Ptolemy, was
Aristarchus of Samos (whom Nicholas Copernicus,
among the moderns, follows in his work on the
celestial revolutions), who concocted this order
among the bodies making up the universe: Sun located
in the center of the world and immobile, around
which is the orb of Mercury, than that of Venus, and
around this is the great orb containing the earth,
the elements, and the moon, and around that is the
orb of Mars, then the Jovian heaven, and after that
the globe of Saturn. Finally follows the sphere of
the fixed stars. But this opinion is shattered by
many observations and the common opinion of
philosophers [ * ]. The earth ought to stand firm
in the center of the whole world as we will demonstrate
later by many observation and phenomena"

(The INTRODUCTION to "Sphaera" by Christoph Clavius,
which stands unaltered every edition from 1570 to 1611)

from:

James M. Lattis, "Between Copernicus and Galileo",
(Christoph Clavius and the Collapse of Ptolemaic
Cosmology),
The University of Chicago Press, 1994, p. 117.

[ * ] : Note the same demagogy about "many
observations" and "the common opinion" (we call
it peer review)