NIH Study Sections

Tue Jul 25 19:23:57 EST 1995

If you are to interview people who have "served" on grant
selection panels of NIH (or whatever similar funding agency)
and WHO ARE THE GRANT RECIPIENTS THEMSELVES, an important
question to ask, I believe, is:

   "Being a SECRET (anonymous) grant reviewer [ or an
   equally secret grant "selector", if a member of a panel ]
   AND a grant recipient FROM THE SAME FUNDING POOL, do you
   think that it constitutes an inherent conflict of interest
   (and if your grant is SYSTEMATICALLY above the average,
   should not it be qualified not just as a mere "conflict of
   interest", but an outright embezzlement of public funds) ?"

How many more LEGAL ACTIONS (like Henke vs NSF) it will take, to
make the record straight ?

Alex Berezin
Department of Engineering Physics,
McMaster University,