Student Seeks Advice

Fri Jul 28 11:34:18 EST 1995

My suggestion is that you talk to many RECENT GRADUATES
in this area (you can likely get some names from profs.
and departmental secretaries), not just to professors.

In talking to professors you always should be aware that
some of them may give you a distorted (too rosy) image of
the area (and job prospects), because they want to lure
you to work with them (graduate students is the cheapest
labor they can get). Beware of those whose message will
be "work with me, I am the best". Always try to get
cross information on a particular group, e.g. by
contacting those who have CRITICISED the work of a this
group in publications (you can use Citation Index to
find this info).

Hope, these comments will help you a bit. Good luck.
Alex Berezin