An Average SuperFund Site

Cynthia Donahey cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Sun Jul 30 12:59:07 EST 1995

First of all, I don't think my old landfill is atypical. A significant
number of SuperFund sites are old landfills.  Anyway, the last time I
called the EPA about some concerns I had, I used the wrong 800 number and
got the Emergency Response Team.  Well, I told him about it anyway - in
sort of a stream of consciousness way, the toxic wastes buried there, the
oil well in the middle of it, the teenagers setting fires, the junkyard
next door, and the warehouse across from the site of the old town dump,
that had temporarily stored wastes from New Jersey, but was now abandoned.
Well, I came close to making him cry, which made me feel bad. Anyway even
though I had called the wrong number, it did make me realize how different
vocational groupings in society are in such oppostion to each other.  It's
not just vocational groups, of course. In the county where the landfill is
located, there is a great tradition of sending out their sons and
daughters to fight these fires - many of them don't get paid.  If fact,
the teenagers who set at least one fire on my property, may have stuck
around to help the Fire Department. In any case, nobody knew they were on a
SuperFund site.  They just put the fire out. I learned this from someone
at the Fore Department who thought it was just a grass fire. I did inform
him otherwise. A really bad chemical fire and explosion could overwhelm
every burn unit in a 250 mile range.

Anyway, everything is about normal at the site, except somebody is driving
through the grass field to the left of the knoll and parking under tree
cover. My husband noticed it and we followed it out. Maybe, it's just a
necking or drug-deal site, or something equally innocous. Nobody could
possibly spot them at night; if they stayed on the dirt road, the cops could
pick them up like that. Who should I tell?