INEXPENSIVE RESEARCH GRADE MICROSCOPES

Mahlon G. Kelly mgk at darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU
Sat Jul 29 23:49:06 EST 1995

This is a repeated post. I apologize if some of you have seen it
before, but others missed it and have asked about it.

I personally hate repeated commercial ads on the serious news
groups. But, so far, no-one has objected to the following. If
there is an objection I will stop posting this. But until someone
says "no" I will assume that it is seen as a service, not an
annoyance.

I have some Russian microscopes for sale at very low prices. This
is a deal that I lucked into, and I hope to pass on.

Although this might seem a commercial post, and it is, in the
sense that I will make some money, I hope that it is acceptable
because it may solve problems for some people, the same problems
I suffered with for many years regarding microscopes

I found that in my teaching and research I was always frustrated
with the microscopes I used simply because we could never quite
afford the quality that was needed. The compromises always kept
the students from seeing what I would have wished, and I could
never quite afford what I needed in the research (phase contrast
and water immersion lenses, for example).

These scopes are of top quality. While the Soviets made shoddy
consumer goods, their scientific establishment got the best. The
student scope is better than anything I taught intro courses
with, and is $300. The top grade research scope is $950, and is
equivalent (or better than) house brands from the major supply
houses selling for $3000 to $4000; in fact I just got rid of my
Wild that I was finally able to buy and replaced it with one of
these. A phase contrast unit with 4 objectives and a top-quality
condensor is $250. There's a scope suitable for a pre-med or
physician for $550.

Email me, and I can email you descriptions. Or give me your
snail-mail address and I can send you a brochure with pictures
and more info. If you are not sure about selecting microscopes I
have written a manual that discusses what to look for in quality
and in various applications. I can email it or send a hard copy
(the hard copy is a bit easier to use because it has some
illustrations.)

mgk at virginia.edu
--
Associate Professor (Emeritus)