New Book Announcement

McComas mccomas at cres.anu.edu.au
Sun Jul 30 20:59:33 EST 1995

'Risk of Extinction: Ranking management options for Leadbeater's Possum
using Population Viability Analysis. DB Lindenmayer and HP Possingham.
Australian National University, Centre for Resource and Environmental
Studies. Canberra. 204pp. A$20 + $5 handling ($10 international
handling).

Details: e-mail: publications at cres.anu.edu.au

WWW Site and ofer form : http://cres20.anu.edu.au/possum/possum.html

Abstract

This book by David Lindenmayer and Hugh Possingham contains
recommendations for forest management to minimise the chance of
extinction of Leadbeater's Possum (Gymnobelideus leadbeateri. These
recommendations are based on the consideration of the biology of
Leadbeater's Possum and an extensive population simulation study in which
the likelihood of extinction of the species was assessed under a wide
range of scenarios. A brief overview of Population Viability Analysis
(PVA) is outlined in Chapter 1.

The computer simulation model (ALEX) that was applied in this study is
described in Chapter 2. Chapter 3 contains a short summary of aspects of
the biology and ecology of Leadbeater's Possum relevant to our
investigation. Key results from PVA are presented in Chapters 4-7.
Baseline explorations of the dynamics of populations of Leadbeater's
Possum within existing patches of suitable habitat are described in
Chapter 4.

An investigation of population behaviour resulting from catastrophic
wildfire events is outlined in Chapter 5. Further complexity is added to
our analyses in Chapter 6, in which we model the impacts of disturbances
arising from a combination of fire and logging operations. In that
chapter, the relative merits of different management strategies for the
conservation of Leadbeater's Possum within wood production forests is
examined.

Given that a major outcome of Chapter 6 was that the permanent
reservation of key forest patches was one of the most useful conservation
strategies, the analyses in Chapter 7 focus on aspects of reserve size,
position and number. Notably, in many parts of Chapters 6 and 7 we have
concentrated on ranking different management options. In these cases we
are primarily concerned with the relative effectiveness of different
conservation strategies rather than precise values for the probability of
extinction.

The key findings and conclusions associated with each phase of analysis
are presented in several places in this document. A brief overview of the
results is given in the Executive Summary at the front of the book,
together with key recommendations for forest management to enhance
long-term conservation strategies for Leadbeater's Possum. In addition,
there are Summary and Conclusions sections accompanying each chapter
where we completed PVA.

Finally, in Chapter 8 we present a synthesis of some of the key findings
of the study. An important part of PVA is to understand the limitations
of the analyses that have been completed. On this basis, an Assumptions
and Limitations section accompanies each chapter in which the results of
analyses are presented.