Urgent News Regarding Scientific Funding

David Longley David at longley.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 15:20:52 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950601194801.511B-100000 at corona>
           patrick at corona "Patrick O'Neil" writes:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 1995, Mark A Vivino wrote:
>

> > There is a great deal published that has no significant value. Is the
> > solution to cut funding to solve this problem? Maybe, but maybe not. It is
> > really the peer review process, where-in the number of publications is
> > looking at for a variety of reasons. I personally can't stand those who
> > make senseless publications, or constantly publish repeat information to
> > renew grants, etc. The only thing I can do is to not do this myself, and
>
> This indicates the need for tinkering or adjustment, NOT elimination of
> peer review, as some have hinted (in search of funding for shakey
> research proposals that either got turned down or obviously would?).  I
> do not like to see a series of individual papers published by the same
> lab, for the sake of quantity, when one single paper combining the
> results into a single, coherent, paper.  In some cases, it IS almost like
> a single experiment is conducted as a PART of a larger study and, step by
> tiny step, the results are published in individual papers (a DNA
> binding assay, for instance, in one paper followed by DNA binding after
> various manipulations, etc - all within the same journal.  They should
> have been placed into a single encompassing paper instead).
>
> Patrick

No doubt all true - my head spins each time I look at the journals which have
to be scanned to keep abreast of neuroscience (and that means medical library
and psychology at least). Unless an alternative to publsih or perish is found
I can't see anything changing, can you?

One further point however.............do you realise what each journal actually
costs? How many are taken, and how often many are published?
--
David Longley