Career advice sought from biologists

Sat Jun 3 13:15:29 EST 1995

WHY IT HAPPENED AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT

Reply to Kristine M. Moncada about
the job situation

Dear Kristine & friends:

I feel compelled to write something in response
to your (and many of your young colleagues)
desperate job messages.

As I am now entering my "early senior years" (51),
and already looking forward to (perhaps) early
retirement from the (so far) tenured position
("so far" - the tenure systems is now under the
quickly mounting pressures), my heart is bleeding
to read messages like yours, or hear numerous
similar stories from recent graduates.

First of all, situation in physics and (most)
engineering disciplines is hardly any better than in
biology/ecology/health sciences. It is not uncommon
to see a Ph.D. in physics with 10+ years of postdoc
"career" experience with 40/50+ papers, still looking
for anything resembling a real career build up. These
are the people often in their mid/late 30s (even early
40s - a fastly growing group), often with kids to
support, etc.

There are many desperate letters in journals like
Physics Today about the severe OVERproduction of PhDs
in physics, which is now estimated as ca. 400 per
year (one extra "useless" PhD every day !). Once
popular musicals about "the coming shortage" of
scientists are all turned out to be a sheer bluff.

Also, it is very important that people like you
write letters, essays, articles TO THE PRESS
(not just to the Internet) about all this - not
only to record your experience but to help others
to avoid (or minimize) career mistakes.

Among many recent graduates in physical sciences,
the only (well, almost only) "career entry" which
I observe around, is related to a kind of a mini-hiring
boom by banks and investment companies - they (banks)
believe that recent physics PhDs with a knowledge of
physics of chaos, fractals and nonlinear dynamics,
etc. will somehow help them to beat the randomness
of the stock market. This is, I am afraid, an ephemeric
fashion soon to fade out (already some early signs of
this are looming).

In looking what YOU can do next (e.g. to go or not for
a higher degree in science) you should take a sober view
on the structure and workings of the modern bench-lab
science.

As Erwin Chargaff, the author of the (highly recommended)