Peer Review & Funding Cuts

Sun Jun 4 20:53:05 EST 1995

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, STAN MULAIK wrote:

> It is not clear to me what Berezin faults in the peer review system.  In

Dear Dr. Mulaik,

I hope that all of us (those who count ouselves as scientists) have
at least one thing in common: when we face a situation which we
describe in the words like "IT IS NOT CLEAR TO ME ..." (your
words - above), the first thing we normally do is the following:
WE READ THE RELEVANT LITERATURE. I provide once again a list of
some references on peer review & funding models and I am
quite sure, that should you care to read at least some of them,
it will be much more clear to you what our points are and why
we believe that drastic reforms in the peer review and research
funding are both desirable and implementable.

Sincerely - Alex Berezin

[ if you short on time read at least D.H. Osmond's (1983);
beside, I can forward to anyone interested an e-mail
compendium of Don Forsdyke's papers - file ca. 75 KB ]

SOME REFERENCES ON PEER REVIEW AND FUNDING MODELS

Berezin, A. A. (1993). The SSC and peer review. Physics World
(Dec.), 19.
[ SSC: Superconducting Supercollider in Texas; price: 11 B$ ,
  cancelled Oct. 1993 ]

Berezin, A. A., R. Gordon & G. Hunter (1995). Anonymous peer
     review and the QWERTY effect. Amer. Physics Soc. News,
     March 1995.

Berezin, A. A. & G. Hunter (1994). Myth of competition and NSERC
     policy of selectivity. Canadian Chemical News  46(3), 4-5.

Forsdyke, D. R. (1983). Canadian medical research strategy for
     the Eighties I. Damage-limitation or superelitism? Med.
     Hypotheses  11, 141-145.

Forsdyke, D. R. (1983). Canadian medical research strategy for
     the Eighties II. Promise or performance as the basis for the
     distribution of research funds? Med. Hypotheses  11,
     147-156.

Forsdyke, D. R. (1989). Sudden-death funding system. FASEB J.
     3(10), 2221.

Forsdyke, D. R. (1989). A systems analyst asks about AIDS
     research funding. Lancet  2(December 9), 1382-1384.

Forsdyke, D. R. (1991). Bicameral grant review: an alternative to
     conventional peer review. FASEB J.  5, 2312-2314.

Forsdyke, D. R. (1992). Bicameral grant review: how a systems
     analyst with AIDS would reform research funding.
     Accountability in Research  3, 1-5.

Forsdyke, D. R. (1993). On giraffes and peer review. FASEB J.  7,
     619-621.

Forsdyke, D. R.(1994). Authorship and misconduct. Nature 370, 91.

Forsdyke, D. R. (1994). A theoretical basis for accepting
     undergraduate academic record as a predictor of subsequent
     success in a research career. Implications for peer review.
     Accountability in Research  3, 269-274.

Gordon, R. (1993). Grant agencies versus the search for truth.
     Accountability in Research: Policies and Quality Assurance
     2, 1-5.

Gordon, R. (1993). Alternative reviews. University Affairs
     (Assoc.of Universities and Colleges of Canada) 34(6), 26.

Horrobin, D. (1981/1982). Peer review: Is the good the enemy of
     the best?  J. Res. Communic. Stud.  3, 327-334.

Horrobin, D. F. (1990). The philosophical basis of peer review
     and the suppression of innovation. J. Amer. Med. Assoc.
     263(10), 1438-1441.

Kenward, Michael. (1984). Peer review and the axe murderers",
     New Scientist, 102 (1412), p. 13 (31 May, 1984).

McCutchen, Charles W. (1991). Peer Review: Treacherous Servant,
     Disastrous Master. Technology Review, vol. 94, #7,
     (October 1991), 28-40.

Osmond, D. H. (1983). Malice's Wonderland: research funding and
     peer review. J. Neurobiol.  14(2), 95-112.

Savan, Beth. (1990). Science Under Siege (The Myth of
     Objectivity in Scientific Research, CBC Enterprises,
     Toronto, 1988.

Szent-Gyorgyi, Albert. (1972). Dionysians and
      Apollonians, Science, 176, 966 (1972).