Ebola

Brett Beitzel brett_beitzel at msmtp.idde.saci.org
Wed Jun 7 12:33:14 EST 1995

I just went to a seminar yesterday with Jerry Jaxx (one of the
Vetrinarians featured in the Hot Zone.)  He is more of an epidemiologist,
so he did not address all of your questions, but he did talk about a few.

   - the vector is still unknown
   - the Reston (VA) Ebola, which was extremely deadly to monkeys is
believed to have been transmitted by aerosol.  It has very high homology
to the Zaire Ebola, which kills >90% of infected humans (1970s outbreak.
The 1995 outbreak is suspected to have a 60-80% mortality rate.)
   - anti-sera from individuals in the Reston incident that tested
positive for Ebola antibodies did not passively protect animal models from
Ebola.