Where are zebra mussels? Edible?

Dave Fluri flurid at govonca.gov.on.ca
Fri Jun 9 14:14:10 EST 1995

In <3r4rrm$qkf at tali.hsc.colorado.edu> oshiro_G at defiance.hsc.colorado.edu
(Guy Oshiro) writes:

>I realize that zebra mussels are becoming a major problem in major
>waterways.  My question is wheter these critters are edible.  If they
>are, then we could get huge commercial ventures going to harvest and
>eat these pests.

I imagine they are edible, but they are really too small to eat, at least in
the Great Lakes basin.  I don't know how big they get in their native range,
but ours are seldom as big as your thumbnail. That's an awful lot of
shucking for a tiny bit of flesh!

--

Dave Fluri			|	"No me agaro ya de nada, para
North Bay, Ontario, Canada	|	 asi no tener nada que defender."