Single molecule ligand/substrate reactions?

Cocea cocea at bisance.citi2.fr
Fri Jun 16 11:29:02 EST 1995

Hello, bionetters!

I don't know much about chemical kinetics.
I can understand, though, the logical coherence
of the mathematical model of the reversible
interaction between a ligand and a substrate.
However, this model is based on a statistical
assumption: there are many molecules
interacting and thus one can use (mathematical)
derivatives (dm/dt) and other such tools
to describe this phenomenon.

How about the situation when you have only one
or two molecules of substrate and many
molecules of ligand? This corresponds to the
binding of a promoter of a particular gene in
the genome of a cell to its regulatory proteins;
these proteins come from the cytosol and,
as far as I know, there is no reason to believe
that there are not many of them entering
the nucleus. Actual data show that proteins
bearing a nuclear localisation sequence are -
as expected - located primarily in the nucleus.

Reversible reactions involving many molecules are
described in terms of reaction rates and
reaction constants at equilibrium. Can reactions
where only one or two molecules of one of
the reaction components are available can be
described by using analogous parameters? I see
such a reaction more like a 'quantum' reaction,
because there are only two or three possible
'states': state one: no binding; state two: one
DNA-factor complex; state three: two DNA-factor
complexes.

There is a connection between the questions
above and gel-shift interpretation. Please
correct me if I'm wrong: in preparing his or
her gel-shift experiment, one naturally
supposes that if the nuclear extract contains
a factor that binds with high affinity to
the DNA substrate (provided in large enough
amounts, so that a read-out will be available
at the end), then the same thing happens in vivo
(where only one or two molecules of
substrate are actually available). This kind of
experiment involves, most often,
regulatory DNA sequences, and the reasoning
is simple: high affinity binding in vitro ->
high affinity binding of a single molecule
in vivo (by the way, beyond its initial
'alchemical' definition, affinity is defined
in reactions using many molecules - can one
speak of affinity in a one-molecule reaction?) ->
high frequency of binding/long halflife
in the interaction of the regulatory factors
with their cognate DNA sequences. But how
does one know that this is actually true?

Is there a proven relation between binding
affinity and the frequency of binding (or the
frequency of reaction)? Or is it that the
frequency of reaction depends on the molar
concentrations of the reactants only? I have read
the chapters on transcription regulation in
Lewin's Genes V and, indeed, increased affinity
seems to be associated with an increased
frequency of binding (reaction), at least
in connection with transcription - but has this
been mathematically modelled or proven in any
quantitative way?

I would appreciate any information or reference
to a model describing such interactions,
as well as any opinions on the items above.

I post these questions to this newsgroup only,
so that all (virtual) answers can be gathered here.
one single place.

Laurentiu COCEA
cocea at citi2.fr