Research Overheads

Sat Jun 17 10:15:17 EST 1995

Bert: Canadian NSERC quotes that its administrative
costs are ca. 4 % of the budget ( 3.7 % in 1994 report).
What I am saying, is that such figures are highly
misleading and, actually, hypocritical. If so many
researchers are saying that they spend up to 50 % of
their time for the grantsmanship (Nobel laureate
Leon Lederman recently quoted 40 % as a typical figure
for younger physicists), then ALL THIS TIME is the
overhead, as it is taken (stolen) from the productive
research. (add to this also the reviewing of
"proposals" - for the most part, exercises in
futurology).

In terms of (academic) salaries paid for this time
it certainly measures in billions.

We have to realize, that the responsibility for the
creating and maintaining this wasteful and
overcompetitive system is primarily ours, not that
of the bureaucracy, as WE (and not the "administration")
have created, developed and cherish the funding apartheid
based on uncontrolled and unaccountable peer review,
mythology of excellence enforcement, and other
fundamental aberrations.

As for the bureaucrates, from the beginning of the
world, they primarily suck on those who conveniently
allow them to do so.

Alex Berezin