Paid job ads on BIOSCI and/or in bionet.*

Una Smith una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu
Wed Mar 1 16:23:44 EST 1995

states at ibc.wustl.edu (David J. States) writes:

>The bionet.jobs group has been an active service that is explicitly
>advertising.  I think it would be appropriate to impose a moderate fee
>for posting in this forum.

I like this suggestion, provided (1) bionet.jobs is moderated and
(2) the gated mailing list is maintained.  I am particularly firm
about item 2 because, should bionet.jobs become commercial in this
manner, many Usenet sites may decline to carry it, and thus more
biologists may have not alternative but to access it via e-mail.

Or perhaps BIOSCI could set up a WWW archive of paid job notices,
with editorial control and removal of all outdated advertisements.
But again, there should be some mechanism for distributing job
notices to interested parties via e-mail.  The WWW is easy to set
up, but it is *very* far from universal.

The 23 January 1995 issue of _The Scientist_ mentions a number of
job hunting resources on the Internet and in Usenet, that might be
used as models for BIOSCI.

	Una Smith			una.smith at yale.edu