Science Fair Thoughts

Cynthia Donahey cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Fri Mar 3 20:15:08 EST 1995

I have seen so many postings about science fair projects, that I thought I
would post an observation about science fairs in general.

Some years ago, I was wondering through the science fair at my daughter's
school looking here and there.  For some reason, I looked pretty carefully
at the nut section.  (OK, I admit it, my daughter had switched from a
landfill project (the year before) to one on ESP and Plants.  They moved
her to the nut section. No $50 special award from Waste Management, just a
project that interested her. I figure if she had just continued to expand
on that project every year, she would have just continued to collect money.

Anyway, I checked one out on "How Many Angels Can Dance on the Head of a Pin."
I looked at Robert inquiringly and his story came out in a rush.  Unlike
my daughter, he was embarrassed.  Apparently, his minister had picked out
his project.  His church was going to send him to college (where he
planned to major in music) and he didn't want to offend anyone.
Seriously,  there is a correct number of angels and a way to do figure out
this number.  I guess this is a proper and popular science project with
those that want to remain true to their church.  A lot of these kids are
between the devil and the deep blue sea.  Science fair is mandatory in
middle school, but most "valid science projects"  are off limits according
to their church.  These kids have an aversion to science.

Maybe this doesn't belong here, but what the heck.