Paid job ads on BIOSCI and/or in bionet.*

Samuel M. Scheiner sam.scheiner at asu.edu
Fri Mar 3 08:51:11 EST 1995

In article <3j2ol0$145 at news.ycc.yale.edu> una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu (Una Smith) writes:
>From: una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu (Una Smith)
>Subject: Paid job ads on BIOSCI and/or in bionet.*
>Date: 1 Mar 1995 21:23:44 GMT

>states at ibc.wustl.edu (David J. States) writes:

>>The bionet.jobs group has been an active service that is explicitly
>>advertising.  I think it would be appropriate to impose a moderate fee
>>for posting in this forum.

>I like this suggestion, provided (1) bionet.jobs is moderated and
>(2) the gated mailing list is maintained.  I am particularly firm
>about item 2 because, should bionet.jobs become commercial in this
>manner, many Usenet sites may decline to carry it, and thus more
>biologists may have not alternative but to access it via e-mail.

I must disagree with Una and others on this. I just posted a copy of our
department's job ad on bionet.jobs. It will appear in Science next week. We
are on a VERY limited budget here. If it cost another $100 to put it on bionet
I simply would not have done so. Bionet.jobs is of most benefit to the job
_seekers_. Unlike Science, which charges and has to pay real money to actually
print the ad, a posting on bionet.jobs costs virtually nothing. This proposal
is definitely a case of hurting the most needy.

* Samuel M. Scheiner            *                          *
* Dept. of Life Sciences (2352) *  In a democracy,         *
* Arizona State University West *                          *
* P.O. Box 37100                *  the people get the      *
* Phoenix, AZ 85069 USA         *                          *
* Tel: 602-543-6934             *  kind of government      *
* Fax: 602-543-6073             *                          *
* E-mail: sam.scheiner at asu.edu  *  that they deserve.      *