Your Announcement and Proposed Changes

Jeff Rawlings rawlings at
Mon Mar 6 14:11:06 EST 1995

In article <3jf6qj$3e2 at>, Gina wrote:

> Yes, I agree whole-heartedly. I would not use the newsgroups if vendors
> started posting on a regular basis. The molbio.methods-and-reagents group in
> particular would be flooded. I don't need a bunch of vendors telling me
> how wonderful their product is. I can read Biotechniques for that.
> What I want to know is how these products performed in the hands of people
> who actually use them.

I agree, as well, that posts hyping specific products could be
counterproductive in bionet.methds-reagnts. Nonetheless, I believe that
the commercial sector has information that is of value to the rest of the
biology community. That is why I would like to start a separate newsgroup
for the purpose of discussing products and other commercial information.

Such a group could have many names. Possibilities are: bionet.products;
bionet.methds-reagnts.commercial; biz.biotech.methds-reagnts; and others.
People who want to see new product announcements could look there, and
researchers who would like answers from vendors could post there.

Does that proposal address your concerns?

Jeff Rawlings                                   Internet Consultant
rawlings at                                             and
rawlings at                         Research Biologist