Electrophoresis Gel?

Chris Boyd chrisb at festival.ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 6 12:46:05 EST 1995

This jogged my memory, which in turn prompted a database search, which
revealed:

   "The use of agar for gel electrophoresis of DNA"
   Bush, C.N. and Holmes, D.S.
   Analytical Biochemistry (1982) 119, 164-166

1982, eh?  Now I feel really old.  As I recall, it works, but rather
crudely and insensitively.  I wouldn't recommend it for preparative
purposes...

Best wishes,

Chris Boyd           |       MRC Human Genetics Unit / Western General Hospital
chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk |                Crewe Road / Edinburgh EH4 2XU / Scotland

Martin Kennedy (mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz) wrote:
: In article <3ijn3a$abc at ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, Fegan1 at ix.netcom.com (Jim Fegan) writes:
: > 	Our teacher is running on a short budget though, and she is
: > reluctant about the use of agarose gel because of it's cost.  Our lab
: > group was looking for a possible alternative to the agarose.  Our ideas
: > were few, and we even tried geletine, but it ended up melting under the
: > current.
: > 	Does anyone know of a gel that would provide a suitable matrix
: > for the electrophoresis?  If you could email me any suggestions you
: > might have, I would greatly appreciate it.
: >
: > Thank you in advance,
: > Jim

: Agarose is a purified component of good old-fashioned bacteriological agar,
: and I believe agar works quite well for DNA gels (though I've never been
: driven to try it).  It would certainly be a lot cheaper than agarose.  If
: you use agarose, and run the gels clean of DNA, you can recycle them -
: either as is, or by remelting and pouring them.  I wouldn't recommend
: either method for serious experiemnts though!

: --
: Cheers,

: Martin