What is a 'commercial' post?

Steve Firth steve at firthcom.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 7 10:38:16 EST 1995

In article <rawlings-0603951432200001 at node139.silcom.com>, Jeff Rawlings
writes:

> I believe I understand the rationale, which is similar to the
> reasoning behind all newsgroup charters: the desire to restrict
> off-topic posts, which contribute to noise in the group. What is
> still unclear to me are the details about what constitutes
> "commercial use" or a "commercial" post

Thanks to Jeff for raising a subject that has puzzled me for some time.
I raised this issue with bionet administration when I first subscribed
to the bionet.* newsgroups and received what I thought was a clear and
unequivocal reply, ie Any commercial use of the bionet.* newsgroups was
forbidden.

I have been surprised to see that academic sites can make commercial use
of these groups without a complaint being raised. Research workers
mercilessly plug their own books (very commercial), advertise shareware
(also commercial, shareware is profit-generating) and advertise
conferences (many have a registration fee and several are arranged by
commercial, profit making, organisations).

Surely, the anti advertising policy should be administered
even-handedly, with commercial posts from all organisations being
banned? At present the bionet.* groups, effectively moderated by peer
pressure, exclude advertising from commercial sites while encouraging
advertising from non-commercial sites.

Failing this approach, I would support Jeff's suggestion made elsewhere
that bionet might find room for a moderated advertising group, where
advertising related to biotechnology is permitted but the "spam" is
rejected. At present, with the exception of the experimental biz-biotech
list, there is no place on the internet for issues related to commercial
development of biotech or for promotion of commercial biotech services.

Stephen Firth                       .  Firth Consulting
steve at firthcom.demon.co.uk          .    Support Services for
CIS: 100023,3414                    .      Biotechnology & Diagnostics