Tick removel

Richard B. Shepard rshepard at teleport.com
Thu Mar 9 15:18:27 EST 1995

On 5 Mar 1995 18:00:54 -0500,
stephen gough  <sgough at s850.mwc.edu> wrote:

>On a related issue:  what have people found to be the best agents to
>repel ticks?  I work in the field a lot and while Deet, etc. help, they
>don't prevent tick adherence completely.

  When I worked for a state agency in Florida we carried socks filled with
sulfur powder in our field kits.  When leaving the vehicle, we tucked pants
legs into shoes/socks and dusted the region with sulfur powder.  Same with
the waistband.

  Avon's Skin-So-Soft is a terrible product for that purpose.  However, its
odor is so offensive it makes a great insect repellent.  If all else fails,
use the bottle to smash the tick.  Highly effective.

Rich

Richard B Shepard, Ph.D., President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.
2404 SW 22nd Street
Troutdale, OR 97060-1247  USA
+ (503) 667-4517 (voice)/+ (503) 667-8863 (fax)