Writer seeking help with novel

Anthony Tomlinson tomlinson at pplros.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 14 05:36:32 EST 1995

In article <3jvlr6$r4h at ag.oro.net> Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff, syntax at oro.net
writes:
>If I have to make it up out of whole cloth, I will, but I would at least like >to get the name right.  Can anyone explain the naming
>conventions for prescription drugs?  If pharmaceutical companies name their >offerings after the CEO's favorite race horse, that's
>great, but I'd like to know so I don't make some really idiotic mistake.

I haven't got any idea what the drug would be, but you can  call it
anything you
like.  I think that over the counter drugs have catchy names (sinusol?
sinuleve?)
but that presciption drugs have names more related to their chemical
names.
The product name is rarely the chemical name though - I think this is
because you want
a unique name so that you can register it as a trademark, and generic
names cannot
be registered.

Hope this helps, but if you want to find out yourself, get a pharmocopoea
or similar
and compare some product names to what the products actually contain.

Anthony