Writer seeking help with novel

Anthony Tomlinson tomlinson at pplros.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 14 05:36:32 EST 1995

In article <3jvlr6$r4h at ag.oro.net> Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff, syntax at oro.net
>If I have to make it up out of whole cloth, I will, but I would at least like >to get the name right.  Can anyone explain the naming
>conventions for prescription drugs?  If pharmaceutical companies name their >offerings after the CEO's favorite race horse, that's
>great, but I'd like to know so I don't make some really idiotic mistake.

I haven't got any idea what the drug would be, but you can  call it
anything you
like.  I think that over the counter drugs have catchy names (sinusol?
but that presciption drugs have names more related to their chemical
The product name is rarely the chemical name though - I think this is
because you want
a unique name so that you can register it as a trademark, and generic
names cannot
be registered.

Hope this helps, but if you want to find out yourself, get a pharmocopoea
or similar
and compare some product names to what the products actually contain.