IMPORTANT!! - MAIL QUEUE PROBLEMS AT NET.BIO.NET

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Wed Mar 15 20:23:56 EST 1995

Given the fact that we routinely pump out anywhere from 40,000 to
60,000 e-mail messages per day, the mail queue on net.bio.net is
usually rather large.  Unfortunately in the last two weeks a problem
appears to have developed which has enlarged it even further.

Those of you who follow Internet security issues have probably heard
that the UNIX mail program called "sendmail" is a frequent target of
hackers who use holes in it to try to break into computer systems.
Thus software upgrades are needed to plug security holes as they are
discovered, and we try to stay on top of these necessary changes here.
Unfortunately the last change may have backfired.  We are
investigating the hypothesis that a recent upgrade to a new version of
sendmail at net.bio.net about two weeks back may have aggravated mail
distribution problems from here, leading to an enlarged mail queue.
We are taking steps to correct this.

Messages posted via either e-mail to net.bio.net or via news would
have been distributed as usual via the news system but many messages
have stalled in the mail queue for other reasons.  Thus e-mail users
would not have seen all of the messages that news users have read to
date.

Dave Mack here is taking steps to "flush" the queue and get these
messages delivered as soon as possible.  These steps may result in
some people getting (1) copies of older messages that have been stuck
in the queue for a few weeks and (2) duplicates of some messages.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.  We are trying to get things back
to normal ASAP.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager