What is an ELISA?

Steve Konings skonings at post.its.mcw.edu
Fri Mar 17 16:49:08 EST 1995

Sean Jason Mc Mahon (sm010b at uhura.cc.rochester.edu) wrote:
: Howdy,

: 	I know this is a simple question, but could anyone tell me what an
: Elisa assay is and an example of what you would use it for? Thanks.

	EnzymeLinkedImmunoSorbentAssay.  Depending on the configuration, it
        ^     ^     ^     ^      ^
can be used to detect specific antibodies or antigens in serum.  You can use
it to determine if some one has made antibodies to HIV, Hepatitis B, and a
nearly unlimited number of other antigens.  You can also use an ELISA to see
if some one currently has Hepatitis B in their serum.  I use ELISAs to
measure IgG and IgM in human serum.  If its an antigen or antibody, there is
probably someway to detect it using an ELISA.
	There, that's a start.  Books have been written on the technic, so
I'm sure I've left something out.  But others will be happy to fill in the
missing details.

Steve
Sr. Research Associate
Blood Research Lab