TSRI Summer Internship Program

gisela hoschek hoschek at jeeves.ucsd.edu
Sat Mar 18 13:17:45 EST 1995

>>                       Eligibility
>>
>> Research Internships are awarded on a competitive basis to United States
>> citizens or permanent residents who are juniors or seniors enrolled on
>> a full-time basis at a college or university, with a minimum grade-point
>> average of 3.0, and are African-American, Hispanic, or American Indian.
>> A limited number of scholarships may be available to non-minority students.
>>
>        What about those who are americans of Japanese-decent? Chinese?
> Vietnamese? Phillipino? Chilean? Brasilian? Balinese? Iraqi? Jordanian?
>Cambodian? Croatian? Celtic? Palastinian? Indian? Afghani? Mongolian?
>Serbian? Turkish? .......
>        African-Americans, Hispanics, and American Indians are only a few
>of the minorities in the United States.

         Of course, you are right and it is not Scripp's fault. They are
just distributing grants under government programs. There are disadvantaged
segments in our population. The aiming of funds into specific directions
may therefore be justified. But basing the eligibility chriteria on race or
etnicity is wrong and immoral. My son (not in college yet) would qualify as
being of African+German+Hispanic+Indian+Irish+Polish (in alphabetical
order) decent, so far as I know, but I can prove only the African part
(because it shows). Is he a minority? I don't think so, he's the most
typical American I can immagine.  Is he disavantaged? Yes, just for his
looks. What does that say about our state of "civilization"?