TSRI Summer Internship Program

Jeffry Howard Reeves jhr0001 at jove.acs.unt.edu
Sat Mar 18 01:09:32 EST 1995

On 17 Mar 1995, Robin Goldsmith wrote:

> 			Eligibility
>
> Research Internships are awarded on a competitive basis to United States
> citizens or permanent residents who are juniors or seniors enrolled on
> a full-time basis at a college or university, with a minimum grade-point
> average of 3.0, and are African-American, Hispanic, or American Indian.
> A limited number of scholarships may be available to non-minority students.

	What about those who are americans of Japanese-decent? Chinese?
 Vietnamese? Phillipino? Chilean? Brasilian? Balinese? Iraqi? Jordanian?
Cambodian? Croatian? Celtic? Palastinian? Indian? Afghani? Mongolian?
Serbian? Turkish? .......
	African-Americans, Hispanics, and American Indians are only a few
of the minorities in the United States.  Actually, they are becoming the
majority.  At what point do you draw the line on minorities?  Do you have
to be able to show sufficient historical oppression?  If so, then the
Chinese and the Irish (my heritage) have longer histories in oppression
in the US than African-Americans and most of the Native American
Nations.  What about those of Jewish lineage?  Want to talk oppression?
Let's talk about the Jews!  And these groups are in the minority, as
well, if your counting individuals.
	Also, who is the majority?  Is it the "Whites"?  What is a
"white" person?  How can you tell he/she is "white"?  Is it the color of
his/her skin?  That sounds like blatant bias, to me.  If someone were to
look at me and judge me as "white" because I have a fair complexion, then
they would be wrong.  I am an American of Irish Heritage.  As in the
Irish who are still under British rule in six counties.
	To select three groups of people and say that they are special
because of their ethnicities is outright descrimination against all
others.  We are all humans, Homo sapiens, one race, one creed.  Strip the
skin off of any two men, and you will not be able to decide which is
asian and which is african, I guarantee.

Jeffry H. Reeves

	Proud to be Irish-American!!