PEPCK inhibitor?

Vincent Encomio vencomio at sfsu.edu
Fri Mar 31 18:17:25 EST 1995

I'm studying anaerobic metabolism in a marine worm that we collect from
mudflats here in CA.  I am interested in finding an inhibitor for the
enzyme phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase.  Some literature I've looked at
used 3-mercaptopicolinic acid.  I've looked through Aldrich, Sigma, and
other catalogs and couldn't find it.  When I asked about custom
synthesis, the minimum price was $5000, so I said no thanks.  Does anyone
know if there is a compound that is analogous in its effects on PEPCK
activity and if it is commercially available.  The only thing I found
similar (in chemical structure) was 2-mercaptonicotinic acid, but I don't
know if this would work.  I almost thought it was the same.  The
difference is that the sulfhydryl group and the COOH group are
interchanged. If anyone knows if there is a compound I could use that is
available, please let me know.

Vincent

vencomio at sfsu.edu