The immortal are living among us NOW!

kkashiha-tky at umin.u-tokyo.ac.jp kkashiha-tky at umin.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Nov 6 05:19:42 EST 1995

> FROM: Bill Tekatch <a7503934 at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>
>
> Many think that immortality is a hopeless quest.
> If they were to realize that there are immortal
> creatures living among us now, would that change
> their minds?  I have found in the past that when
> I gave a few clues about the identity of the
> immortal creatures that people with a knowledge
> of biology could name them within seconds.
> So, here it goes.
>
> They will never die from ageing.
>
> They can be killed by accident or disease.
>
> They are multi-cellular, and not microscopic.
>
> Most of them actually are taller then the
> human female.
>
> Although their life-span is indefinite, there
> is no confirmation of any of them being over
> five thousand years old.
>
> Has everybody got it?  Easy, isn't it?
> Now, the big question is why don't we
> apply our knowledge about them to achieve
> human immortality?  By the way, they do
> it by keeping a portion of their cells
> in the fetal state all during their lives.
>
> Sincerely,
> Bill Tekatch

Dear Tekatch

 May I ask you why you and your colleagues adhere to immortality so much? If
no one dies except by disease and accident,number of new-born baby must be
much smaller than now.Isn't it a selfish behavier of adults? Moreover I would
like to insist that life is not evaluated by its length.Do think of Evariste
Galois,or Masao Ohba=a great Japanese boxer dead at 23 at world championship.
Immortality maybe technically easy in the future,but it's really undramatic.

Yours Sincerely
Kenichiro Kashihara,a medical student of Tokyo Univ.