Potentiation of bioactive peptides by peptidase inhibition?

Mr. P.A. Sansom psansom at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 7 06:35:26 EST 1995

RE : Potentiation of peptide bioactivity by inhibition of proteolysis.

I've been examining the effects of exogenous peptides on protein
biosynthesis. From the results so far, it seems likely that these
peptides (5-15 amino acids) are acting indirectly by preventing proteolysis
of endogenous peptides, possibly growth factors, by aminopeptidases.
This effect is specific to certain exogenous peptides, suggesting that
particular cleavage sites are involved, and thus particular peptidases.

Does anybody know of documented examples where addition of peptides
to a culture system has resulted in the potentiation of the effects
of endogenous peptide factors? I don't mean addition of analogues
or derivatives of neuropeptides and hormones, but of short novel
peptides which are wholly unrelated to the endogenous bioactive peptide.
The mechanism does not necessarily need to be by peptidase inhibition,
although this would be a bonus.

I know it's a drag, but if possible please email a reply to me as well as
to the newsgroup, as my access is VERY limited at the moment, and I
don't want to miss any potential threads.

Thanks very much in advance

Paul

psansom at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk

Currently representing myself!