Electronic PHS398 Form-- Free or Commercial?

Dennis Templeton djt2 at po.cwru.edu
Wed Nov 8 01:38:39 EST 1995

In article <473755$k22 at ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>, djblakes at ix.netcom.com
(Dennis Blakeslee) wrote:

> A full electronic (WYSIWIG) version of the new PHS398 NIH Grant
> Application form (Rev. 5/95) has been approved by the NIH Division of
> Research Grants and is now available to individuals and institutions.
> The file contains all grants pages, including the face and checklist
> pages, and has spreadsheet capabilities--all dollar amounts and
> indirect costs are calculated automatically and entered in the correct
> fields. Also, the form can be customized for use at a particular site,
> with information such as addresses, phone numbers, performance site,
> and appropriate check marks entered already entered when the form is
> opened.
>
> An electronic version of the PHS2590 is also availble.
>
> The previous version of the phs398 (and the 2590) has been in
> widespread use at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, CA for
> the past three years.
>
> These forms run on a commercial (Delrina) software "filler" program
> (with which I am in no way affiliated) and only Windows and UNIX
> versions are currently available--a Mac version of the filler has been
> promised but has not yet been released.
>
> For information on obtaining these forms as well as customization
> services, contact:
>
> Dennis Blakeslee
> djblakes at ix.netcom.com

Is this version freely available? If so, will you please post it on an
accessible server? How is the DRG "approval" significant compared to the
defacto "approval" of grant form templates in use for several years?

This form-filling approach does seem advantageous to word processor
templates, but use of the templates is not complicated, uses a known
technology and allows use by all platforms. These templates have been in
use since 1991 and are available for the updated forms too.

Parties interested in the free Mac PHS398 templates are referred to our
server at http://129.22.87.13

Dennis Templeton
Institute of Pathology
CWRU School of Medicine