Peer Review Anonymity

Una Smith una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu
Tue Nov 7 20:59:17 EST 1995

Alexander Berezin <berezin at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca> wrote:

>-You may say, how about all the crackpot crap, etc ?
>-This problem has to be dealt with at the editorial
>-level, prior to the revieweing.

Oh really?  How is the end result different, if an editor
rejects you or a reviewer does it?  Maybe the editor has a
lot of experience and good judgement.  Maybe not.  Maybe
the reviewer is the most generous scientist in the world,
maybe not.

We all want to avoid reading incompetent publications by
others, but at the same time we all want to get our own
work published ASAP and as painlessly as possible.  In the
absence of an ideal (and perhaps impossible) information
system, these two goals are mutually exclusive.  The peer
review system tries to achieve a compromise between these
two goals.  I'd be happy to hear practical ideas for how
to do better.