gene related to violence?

BOMINAAR at chem.rug.nl BOMINAAR at chem.rug.nl
Wed Nov 8 11:28:16 EST 1995

>On 7 Nov 1995, Michael Gregory Abel, University of Tennessee wrote:

>> > For someone who is NOT in genetics the above question
>> > (and thousands other loke it) gives some reason to
>> > question seriously the very fabric of modern science:
>> >
>> > "Now it all in genes (DNA, or you name it): cancer,
>> > violence, IQs, homosexuality, etc, etc"
>> >
>> > 100 years ago it all was in a shape of your skull
>> > (phrenology).  DNA well may be a fad of today which
>> > will be laughted at as an "omni-explanation" tomorrow.
>> >
>> > Its time for some cold water om molecular genetics.
>> >
>> > Alex Berezin
>>
>> Ramble......ramble.....ramble.....
>>
>> What the hell are you trying to say with this diatribe?
>>

>What I want to say is that when they identify
>"violence gene" than next step they will find
>that some [ specific groups ] have more of them .....
>(need further references ?). In short, pseude-science.
>Alex Berezin

I don't think that the potential (mis)use of a finding
for ethically undesired purposes, should be a leading mechanism
in science. Because if that were the case, we should stop doing any
kind of research, because there will always be some sick minds.

to stick to the question of genes for violence, identifying them doen't
have to lead to eugenetics.

and as far as some specific groups having more of them than others, starting
from a darwinian point of view, one might wonder what the selective advantage
of these genes is, that caused them to be present in these groups and than
if you really feel like doing something with the information try to change
the social structure (I'm just guessing that that is were the selective
advantage will be) and thereby reduce the selective pressure for these genes.
I don't see anything un-ethical in that.

Ton