The immortal are living among us NOW!

Ann Tekatch a7503934 at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Wed Nov 8 22:24:18 EST 1995

FROM: Bill Tekatch <a7503934 at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>

"Paul Boduch (ES 1997)" <pboduch at minerva.cis.yale.edu> wrote:

>  You've got me stumped here. Is it some kind of tree, the giant redwoods
> pehaps?

For being "stumped" you did well.

It is the Brislecone Pine.  The oldest one found was
felled in 1964 in Nevada's Humboldt National Forest.

The Sierra redwood has an estimated maximum age
of 4,000 years and ages to 2,200 to 2,300 verified.

My point is perhaps trying to optimize the performance
of the human body for life span by fine tuning its
operation can only yield at best perhaps a 30%
increase in life span.  The giant advances will
come from radical steps such as the application
of knowledge about other organisms that are
already immortal.

Sincerely,
Bill Tekatch