READ THIS!-# of atoms in a human cell?

Fri Nov 10 20:50:30 EST 1995

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Paul Boduch (ES 1997) wrote:

> 	Does anybody know the average number of atoms in a human cell?
> Could please e-mail it to me fast? I know for a fact that there's 10^27
> atoms in an average human body. If you knew the average # of cells, you
> could just divide that into 10^27 to come up with the answer.

VEIW OF A NON-BIOLOGIST (but knew some chemistry once):
You better start with the Avogadro #, chemical composition of a cell
(I guess, the average atomic weight is about 12 as we are mostly
a mixture of H, O, C amd N) and average size of a cell, which
(again a guess) is about several microns.
The answer has nothing to do with the weight of human body
and likely about the same for all (animal) biostuff.
Alex Berezin