Help on Enzymes (finding max. rate)

Steve West swest at mail.anglianet.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 15:31:22 EST 1995

   I am doing an A-level project on the rate of Urease in relation to the
concentration of substrate. Having acheived some results, I have been told
by my Biology teacher that there is a way of extrapolating the exact value
for the maximum rate, by plotting a graph of 1/Rate against 1/Substrate
concentration, and then doing something with the point where the line
crosses the x axis. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what to do, and
neither does my teacher (he goes off muttering about 'Michaelis Merton',
or something). Can anybody help, or at least tell me where I can find out
more about the subject?

   Chris West