DMSO!?

Peter Kaub p-kaub at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Nov 14 00:26:35 EST 1995

kkashiha-tky at umin.u-tokyo.ac.jp writes:

>Dear Netters

> If anyone has some informations,would you tell me how and why to use DMSO=
>dimethylsulfoxide in moleculer and cellular biology? Any inputs,please!

Primarily as a cryopreservant (minimizes ice crystal formation which can
damage cells) for storage of several cell lines at below freezing
temperatures.

Also used as a solvent in some cases e.g.for x-gal.

There are several other uses, but these are the main ones.  If you have more
specific queustions about it's usage then please e-mail me.

>Yours Sincerely
>Kenichiro Kashihara,a medical student of Tokyo Univ.

Yoroshiku,
Pete Kaub, an ex-research student of Keio Univ.