Elephants-help

Derek Gunn Gunn at Otago.ac.nz
Thu Nov 16 18:40:41 EST 1995

In article <48d1rl$orq at guava.epix.net>
southard at epix.net (Bob Southard) writes:

> Sorry if this is not the right group, but I'm not a biologist and need
> info for a presentation.  What is the biological classification of
> an elephant, as in phylum, class, order, family, genus, species?
>
> Thanks for your help.    Bob

If you've got a PC (or a PowerMac with SoftWindows ;-)) you could
upload SKIS v5.6 via FTP and find out for yourself.
-  ftp.coast.net:/pub/systems/pc/garbo/science/SKIS_56.ZIP
(There is an announcement for it in this newsgroup - bionet.general).

Anyway, it would tell you -
Phylum:  Chordata
Class:   Mammalia

SKI#       ORDER         Family         Genus      species     Other Info

795.1.1.1  PROBOSCIDEA   Elelphantidae  Elephas    africanus   African elephant
795.1.1.2  PROBOSCIDEA   Elelphantidae  Elephas    indicus     Indian elephant

There are an additional 11 species - all extinct though.

Best of presentations,

Derek Gunn
Our prime aim is to develop and promote the widespread use of SKIS
to assist users in the collection and communication of basic and
detailed information for biological conservation and education.___