Elephants-help

Derek Gunn Gunn at Otago.ac.nz
Sun Nov 19 22:19:59 EST 1995

Loxodonta - Yes.  A freshwater ecologist didn't look carefully!
Thanks to Rick Toomey of the Illinois State Museum, and profound
apologies to all.

In recompense, we append a DRAFT file we started long ago.

Could anyone help with the project to chart and communicate the
history of Elephants?  If so, please send information IN TABLE FORM
(or as comma delimited text) to this News Group or to us at
GUNN at otago.ac.nz.
We will check, integrate and package all material that fits into our file
formats and make the files generally available.

Remember, the following is a draft...

PROBOSCIDEA -
--+-?-ae--------------Mammut ---------+-spp.
  |                                   +   Africa; early Oligocene

  +-Anthracobunidae --* ----------------*

  +-Barytheriidae ----* ----------------*

  +-Deinotheriidae ---Deinotherium ---+-*spp.
  |                                   +   North Africa; late Eocene

  +-Elephantidae ---+-Elephas --------+-maximus - Asian Elephant
  |                 |
  |                 +-Loxodonta ------+-africana - African Elephant
  |                 |                 +   ssp africana
  |                 |                 +       Bush Elephant
  |                 |                 +   ssp cyclotis -
  |                 |                 +       Forest Elephant
  |                 |
  |                 +-Mammuthus ------+-spp.
  |                 |                 +   Mammoths
  |                 |
  |                 +-Primelephas ----+-spp.
  |                 |                 +   A four-tusker
  |                 |

  +-Gomphotheriidae +-Amebelodon -----+-spp.

  +-Mastodontidae ----Mastodon -------+-spp.
  |                                   +   Mastodonts
  |                                   +   Africa; low-Mioc. - low-Plio.
  |                                   +   Eurasia; low-Mioc. - low-Plio.
  |                                   +   N. America; mid-Mioc. - Plio.

  +-Moeritheriidae ---Moeritherium ---+-spp.
  |                                   +   North Africa; 50mybp

  +-Palaeomastodont --Palaeomastodon -+-spp.
                                      +   North Africa; end of Eocene

     SKIS v5.6 is Copyright (c) 1995 CS.Woods, DI.Gunn, Dunedin, N.Z.