NIH/Science? Effect of US shutdown?

Jim Hutchins hutchins at fiona.umsmed.edu
Tue Nov 21 10:28:48 EST 1995

anon (shirra at mbcrr.harvard.edu) wrote:
: And on a related note, regarding the restrictions on travel by
: government employees...  Did this affect anyone who was planning on
: attending a meeting, seminar etc. last week?

Well, don't know about intramural research, but the shutdown occurred
right in the middle of the annual (23,000-person) Society for Neuroscience
meeting.

What I *heard* (can't confirm) is that supervisors were *ordered* to catch
the first plane from San Diego back to Washington DC so they could be
put on furlough.  I know that sounds silly, but...

Many of the other govt employees went AWOL in San Diego, but of course
at their own expense :-(  They were (understandably) quite dismayed and
angry.  Not good for morale, not good for anyone.

--
Jim Hutchins
Assoc Prof Anatomy, Asst Prof Neurology (Research), Univ Mississippi Med Ctr