online database: Re: who can help with biotechnolohy and tomatoes

Roger Granet rag55 at cas.org
Wed Nov 22 12:37:31 EST 1995

In article <kinder02.4.000CF543 at fsrz1.rz.uni-passau.de>, kinder02 at fsrz1.rz.uni-passau.de (KINDERMANN CHRISTINA) writes:
>  Hallo,
>
> for my thesis on gene technology and tomatoes I need any possible information
> on gentechnology and tomatoes. Please feel free to send me any peace of advice
> you have on the subject.
>
> books, articles and any personal experience would do

Fabian,

    Hi.  From my own biased viewpoint, I would think that doing an online
search of a scientific database would be the easiest and best way of
collecting some info.  on genetic engineering in tomatoes.  For instance, from
a real quick search of the CAplus file produced by the database I work at,
Chemical Abstracts Service, I found 18,000 abstracts with the search terms
tomato or lycopersicon.  Of these, 416 were reviews.  A couple of interesting
looking ones dealing with genetic engineering were:

TI   Determination of the safety of genetically engineered crops
AU   Redenbaugh, Keith; Hiatt, William; Martineau, Belinda; Emlay, Donald
SO   ACS Symp. Ser. (1995), 605(Genetically Modified Foods), 72-87

TI   Sense and antisense inactivation of fruit ripening genes in tomato
AU   Hamilton, A.J.; Fray, R.G.; Grierson, D.
SO   Curr. Top. Microbiol. Immunol. (1995), 197, 77-89

TI   Control of ripening in transgenic tomatoes
AU   Grierson, Don; Fray, Rupert
SO   Euphytica (1994), 79(3), 251-63

    A lot of people think that Chemical Abstracts has only chemical infor-
mation, but, a third of the 600,000 or so abstracts (journals, patents,
conference proceedings, etc.) we put out every year come from our bio-related
areas and include abstracts like the above ones.  To search on some of the
other papers in this area, check with your science or main librarian to find
out if your organization already has an account with us or call our customer
service desk.

    Well, I hope this helps!  Good luck!

							       Roger

Roger Granet                                 Phone: (614) 447-3600, ext. 2346
Associate Scientific Information Analyst     Internet: rgranet at cas.org
Biochemistry Department
Chemical Abstracts Service
P.O. box 3012
Columbus, OH 43210

CAS Customer Service: 1-800-753-4227 or by email to: help at cas.org
STN Help Desk: 1-800-848-6533 (in North America) or (+49)7247/808-555 (in
	       Europe) or (+81)3-5214-8413 (in Asia)
Web site at: http://info.cas.org/welcome.html

The views given here are mine only and do not necessarily represent those of
anyone else, Chemical Abstracts Service, or the American Chemical Society.