REQ: Text book on "Plant-Animal Interactions"

Andy andrew at uwinst.unizh.ch
Thu Nov 30 03:13:44 EST 1995

>The students will have a variety of backgrounds,
>abilities and interests, coming from our focus group and from our other
>focus groups such as evolution/ecology and physiology/behavior.
>So I guess the bottom line is that I'm looking for a text book that
>covers a broad range of material (i.e., not just plant-insect or
>plant-pathogen or plant-hervivore, etc.) and goes into sufficient detail
>for graduate students (and to keep us all entertained).

I'm not at all sure such a book exists and if one covered all animal-plant
interactions I can't imagine it would be in any great detail, although I could
have missed a text somewhere along the line.  The best stuff I read when I was
doing courses like this were more specific, although you would clearly prefer
otherwise.  Two I would suggest would be:

Crawley, M.J. (1983) Herbivory: the dynamics of plant-animal interactions.  Blackwell
Strong, D.R. Lawton, J.H. and Southwood, R. (1984) Insects on plants.  Blackwell.

These are both splendid and Crawley looks at the interactions from both sides of the
equation.

Andy