Help please settle a bet

Thu Nov 30 10:00:02 EST 1995

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Sami Kohan wrote:

> My friend and I argueing over the definition of a male. I claim that in
> sexually reproducing species, males do not ever bear young and she claims
> that there are instances where they do. She claims that for examples
> seahorse do, but I claim anyting that bears young, unless it is asexual,
> is by definition a female. Anyone want to settle this? Thanks.... I've got
> a dinner riding on it.

Did you read recent book "Origin of Sex" ?
I am not sure about the author, by my recollection
that it is Lynn Margulis. Perhaps, somebody will
give you more precise info.
Please, post "the answer" when you settle the bet.

Alexander A. Berezin, PhD
Department of Engineering Physics
McMaster University, Hamilton,
Ontario, Canada, L8S 4L7