Biology career?

C Wood bsscw at bath.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 09:59:14 EST 1995

i have to concur with Dr. Love ..... use your B.S. to find an escape
route out of sciene - if you don't do this you are in for a long hard
ride to null-station.  Doing science is almost like going for an acting
career, i.e. only the few make it - and the rest just survive or wise up
and get into a different field altogether.  Another alternative to
consider (please by the way don't do technician job in a hospital path
lab - that is such an awful job to do for a graduate - i know, i did it!)
... alternative career choices could be to go into some other type of job
where your science degree can prove helpful - such as sales or marketing
areas in the biotech area etc.  ... this may mean doing a post-grad
degree in marketing (via the MBA route for example) ... i am looking into
doing this myself right now ... and i have a BS, MS and Ph.D. ....
frankly, I wish i had not gone into science ..... the jobs available are
pretty slim on the ground, so you just get locked into one post-doc after
another.  Most of my friends in science are looking for an escape route.
Frankly, do yourself a favour and seriously think about an alternative
career route - i.e. not the MS and Ph.D. route - the jobs are simply not
there to satisfy those who already have PhDs.

chrisw
To preserve the environment this message was
 ___     _     _          _                                 _        _
| _ \_ _(_)_ _| |_ ___ __| |  ___ _ _    _ _ ___ __ _  _ __| |___ __| |
|  _/ '_| | ' \  _/ -_) _` | / _ \ ' \  | '_/ -_) _| || / _| / -_) _` |
                                                    |__/
 ___| |___ __| |_ _ _ ___ _ _  ___		Dr. Chris Wood PhD
/ -_) / -_) _|  _| '_/ _ \ ' \(_-<		Email: bsscw at bath.ac.uk
                                                Bath, BA2 7AY, EUROPE
                                                Tel work: UK 01225-826826
                                                ext 5118 - maybe