Hemoglobin and Cyanide

Bob Hoesch Bob_Hoesch at fws.gov
Thu Nov 30 15:56:14 EST 1995

If one is using hemoglobin as a marker for analyzing population
genetics, a standard procedure is to treat the blood sample with low
concentrations of cyanide prior to IEF (isoelectric focusing).  This
results in the elimination of "spurious" bands, and apparently makes
the resulting banding patterns amenable to genetic analysis. I've heard
this procedure described as "reduction of methemoglobin" (reduction of
the oxidized iron back to the reduced state), but this doesn't make sense
to me in terms of the chemistry. Can someone explain what is happening in
this cyanide-induced reduction in the number of hemoglobin bands?  How could
cyanide reduce Fe3+ to Fe2+?