protein folding in the Wash. Post

NICHOLAS THEODORAKIS ntheo at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Sun Oct 1 22:12:07 EST 1995

Did anybody see the article in this Sunday's (1 Oct.) Washington Post
about protein folding, written by a staff writer named David Brown? It was
mostly about Rose's folding program, but it went into a lot of background
(written for the proverbial educated layman) about protein synthesis,
structure, minimum free energy, secondary and tertiary structures, etc.,
It also gave some background about why the problem was important and
interesting, without resorting to the excess hyperbole that usually
accompanies articles in the popular press.  It started on page A1 and
continued for nearly two full pages (including diagrams and a picture of
George Rose).

I have to say that this was the best science article in a newspaper that I
have read in a long time (maybe ever); certainly better than anything
I've seen in _Discover_(ok, too easy - better than many _Scientific
American_ articles).  We are quick to complain when the popular press
does a bad job in representing science; here I think we should give
credit where it is due.  BTW, in a nice touch, the writer finished by
mentioning that Rose's work was funded in part by the NIH.

--
			Nick Theodorakis
			ntheo at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
			Johns Hopkins Medical School, Baltimore, MD