salt content of cells

cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov
Mon Oct 2 09:15:26 EST 1995

In article <44juh8$khb at ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, chimo at ix.netcom.com
says...

>I am a high school biology teacher interested in finding out the salt
>content of human cells, preferably lung cells.  Is it true that the
>salt content of these cells is isotonic with 'typical' seawater?  I am
>in a debate with another biology teacher about the subject.  I've heard
>that you are more likely to survive a near drowning in seawater other
>than fresh water.
>
>Lori Karn

"Typical" seawater contains approximately. 2.5% to 3.5% NaCl by weight,
depending on location.  On the other hand, human blood serum contains
approx. 0.9% NaCl by weight.  Different body tissues may vary slightly,
but in general, their salt concentration should be nearly isotonic with
blood serum, i.e., 0.9% NaCl (w/v).  Other solutes in serum may bring the
total osmotic pressure up, especially glucose, proteins, etc.
 As far a drowning is concerned, lungs full of water cannot breathe,
regardless of the salt concentration.  Water temperature does play a
role, though, with colder water slowing down metabolism and initiating
what is known as the "diving response".  Some victims, especially young
children, have survived immersion in ice-cold water for extended periods
(over 20 minutes in one case, if newspaper accounts can be believed).