Taq Polymerase Ad/Any uses other than PCR?

Szatmari George szat at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Tue Oct 3 08:20:39 EST 1995

In article <44o0hg$n2b at saba.info.ucla.edu> Sami Kohan <skohan at ucla.edu> writes:
>I was flipping through a Science magazine and noticed an ad for Taq
>polymerase with a disclaimer at the bottom which said that something to
>the effect that certain procedures which called for Taq are covered by a
>patent and that no license came with purchases from this vendor. I took
>that to mean that if you use this for PCR, you're breaking the law.
>However, why else would anyone want Taq polymerase?

Taq polymerase can also be used for sequencing DNA.  At times, sequencing
at high temperatures helps to eliminate certain sequencing artefacts,
and Taq is the ideal enzyme to use under these conditions.

As far as I know, this property of Taq isn't patented (yet).  This is how
certain companies can still sell "unlicenced" Taq.

Hope this helps,
Dr George Szatmari, Dept de microbiologie, Universite de Montreal